Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument Mountainair, NM
Superintendent, Salinas Pueblo Missions National Monument PO Box 496 Mountainair, NM 87036 505/847-2585
Before the area was abandoned in the 1600s, Pueblo Indians forged a stable agricultural society in this area. They lived in apartment-like complexes in the Salinas Valley. The area was a major trade center and one of the most populous parts of the Pueblo world by the 17th century. This was originally known as the Gran Quivira National Monument back in 1909, but was renamed in December of 1980.